What a Year!
Whilst 2016 has brought us Brexit, a triumphant Trump and the Toblerone shape scandal, at Rocketseed we’ve had our own big ‘news’ (new clients, new partnerships, new campaigns, new website and New York!), big impact and some big numbers.
Because in this uncertain marketing world, one thing is certain – we’re all sending emails every day (at our desks, and on-the-move) and that’s why Rocketseed is making every-day email branding more eye-catching, engaging and effective than ever. Our aims were to further our cloud offering and to build our client-base, our brand profile and, of course, our clients’ own email branding success … and it’s been a year of remarkable results.
This review gives an overview of what Rocketseed – a dynamic and determined business with a small marketing budget – has achieved and what we can help you achieve in the coming year in terms of marketing traction, lead generation and sales conversion.
So, before we look forward to 2017, let’s have a quick look back through 2016 broken down by quarters and a snapshot of some key initiatives that we delivered on. We have learnt a tremendous amount and we want to help our clients and prospects do the same. So if you want some inspiration, improve your planning and get results…contact us, we are more than willing to share our secrets and help where we can.
Q1: Planning, Consistency, Strategy and The Key to Click-through…
Whether it’s words, images or video, the key word is still content. Be it social or the blog, having consistent placements and distribution tactics is fundamental to making your hard work on creating the content pay off. We knew at Rocketseed that this had to be improved, through a series of workshops in January 2016 we addressed these matters. The outcome of those meetings was aimed at delivering a content plan with placement timings, editorial mission and engaging subject matter to ensure that our content remained Rocketseed-owned.
Given your time constraints and ours, below is one of the highlights for Q1 outside the gazillion other initiatives that we delivered in the first 3 months of 2016.
To kick off the year we asked (and answered) What makes us click, unlocking the secrets of a compellingly clickable call-to-action (CTA) – the key to email banner campaign success. We tested colours, contrasts and copy and, when we published the results, the clicks came back thick and fast – and not just for our clients, as our own CTA engagement increased by 15% and the blog feature topped the Direct Marketing Association website… Their words, not ours!
The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing and with it we saw that boosting our blog content in 2016 has helped to increase traffic to our pages by 258% (a brand new beautiful website may have also helped)! And, our email design guidelines page consistently proves to be a real top performer. All of this substantiating Rocketseed’s experience and expertise in email branding…
This was the first of our ‘evergreen’ pieces that we continued to re-position for a number of weeks through the quarter in terms of social and, as you all know, social content is vital and is hard work to keep consistent. Having this headline piece meant that we could recycle and improve the efficacy of our social and in time increase lead generation – A nice surprise!
Finally, given how well our email design guidelines page delivered, we are set to launch an ebook purely focused on this in the first quarter of 2017.
Take away time:
- Plan, Plan and Plan: It doesn’t need to be huge and it only acts as a road map but having reminders of post requirements and using tools like hootsuite or similar alongside your content plan will deliver you tremendous return. Try it and see. Contact us here and we’ll send you a template as a new year kick-off, all we ask is you say thanks on twitter or LinkedIn!
- Break the year down into quarterly mini campaigns that support your core offering and product, in our case it was: Why we click, Customer service, The importance of a brand Account Manager and the 1 minute tips and tricks campaign.
- Create one evergreen piece per quarter (or weekly if you are Adobe): use it, build off it and make it work for you. You invested time and resource, now make sure you don’t let it rest until it’s done its job. Recycling through email banners and social is critical to support these endeavours.
Q2: Putting Customer Service Centre-Stage … and ‘Fuzzy Marketing’ into Focus
Our Spring campaign showed clients how easily their customer service can be rated through email banner surveys, with every customer click reported in real-time for immediate follow-up as required – an invaluable tool for marketing intelligence and reputation management. The statistics speak for themselves: B2B statistics suggest a 60% profit increase from those businesses who receive outstanding customer service. *Source: Marketing Metrics
Practising what we preach, we then launched our own ‘Rate my service’ banner campaign and have been thrilled with the response which shows just how much our clients value our hands-on account management and recognise the positive impact it has on their campaigns.
Making his own impact, our CEO Damian brought some Rocketseed thought-leadership to the DMA’s Customer Engagement Festival in June by putting Fuzzy Marketing into focus, highlighting the human-side to emotional brand engagement in a world of data-driven marketing – it really is fuzzy food for thought.
Take Away Time:
- Even from some simple competitor analysis it started to become very apparent from our prospects and clients that what separates Rocketseed is the customer service and support that we provide. Listen to the voice of customer and know that you will always be supported by Rocketseed.
- From this we were able to hone our key messaging in terms of social and blog content and consistently ensure that the marketplace was aware of this – a result of which was our account management tips piece that had unbelievable engagement numbers.
- We now also offer campaign management services and this is now high-profile on our website and a key point of difference in our product offering.
Q3: New York, New ebook … and New Website!
In terms of recognition for effort, you don’t get much better than being invited to join the Mayor of London’s Go To Grow international business programme and be part of the tech cohort, travelling stateside to brainstorm with the brightest and best of the Big Apple’s tech sector, boosting Rocketseed’s profile on both sides of the pond and featuring in Fortune magazine.
Opening people’s eyes to the full power of email branding in the digital marketing mix, we launched our ebook Discover Digital Marketing’s Best Kept Secret – with our email download achieving an impressive 22% open rate, and generating more enquiries than we could ever have expected.
The big news for September was the new Rocketseed website going live. It’s already attracted a 132% increase in traffic, reduced our bounce rate by 63%, and tells you all you need to know about effective email branding – from precision-targeted banners to social media-linked signatures – with full details of Rocketseed’s unique features and functionality and how, when used strategically, it seriously boosts sales – as the website shows through multi-sector client success stories.
Then, as a follow-up to our customer service campaign, we highlighted why you need a dedicated email branding account manager – ensuring our clients really get the most from Rocketseed, with one globally-renowned client – Chelsea FC – giving our IT director Oliver a big ‘thank you’ in the form of enjoying a match at Stamford Bridge from the comfort of a private box – the rewards of good customer service.
Take Away Time:
- This was a killer quarter for us and one that was probably the busiest for the whole year, or at least we thought until the next quarter started. One key element was that we created a huge amount of content from the opportunity to join the Mayor of London on his trip and we feel that we also supported in a positive way.
Q4: 1-Minute Masterclasses … and Merry Christmas Metrics
As Autumn arrived we launched our programme of 1-minute masterclasses. Aimed at existing clients, they’re packed with techy tips and creative tricks to help make email branding a top-performing marketing channel, especially in terms of ROI.
The most important element of this quarter was launching and taking live our inbound email automation campaign. Now as much as we’d like to have hubspot or Oracle Marketing Cloud, we don’t! That being said, we do have Rocketmailer our own in house tool that we put to better use. We now have automated campaigns set up for the following:
- Inbound propects
- Pipeline prospects
- Existing clients
This has already started delivering for Rocketseed after a very short period of time. Of everything, email delivers the greatest ROI (Radicati report) and we can attest to this from personal experience. Do not hesitate to get this going, YES-it is a lot of work but once the cadence in is in place and the content mapped out, your system should really take over from there with tweaking happening thereafter. This really is something that you need to do, and Rocketseed are more than happy to tell you how we’ve done it. Contact us for our help (and watch out for a blog post in future about how we did it in more detail).
We received a very welcome early Christmas present from The Telegraph who gave Rocketseed a top-drawer testimonial. To take it a step further our long-time client Dell Technologies gave us approval to host their logo on our home page and promote the relationship on social.
Finally, in December we cracked open our Christmas banners and, looking back over our yearly metrics, saw that by using our own tools we’ve increased total page views on our website by 228% – a great end to the year.
Our Santa poem has also won huge accolades from our clients and partners.
Take Away time:
- Really? Seriously? You are still reading this and you haven’t picked up the phone or sent us a message?
Ok, so yes – even this is a content piece but it is a content piece that we enjoyed looking back on and hope that you have taken away one tip. Just one tip can make all the difference. Whatever you do this year, don’t slip back into old habits. This is going to be a, very interesting year again with further key European elections happening and other economic factors coming into play, not least the Article 50 trigger.
Plan for it and you will be in a better position to navigate it.
So, what’s up with 2017 for Rocketseed?
Well without wanting to give it all away (evergreen content, people), here it is in snapshot:
- New ‘go to market’ partnerships are in the pipeline, and we forecast some of those delivering in Q1 2017
- Cloud, Cloud & more Cloud – We see cloud going only one way with Azure and Office 365 leading the way so far. A big part of our year is focused on enhancing our offering there and delivering an amazing UX experience with a brand new customer interface.
- We are also excited about a developing relationship with Microsoft and becoming an affiliate partner in different guises. We’ll announce something along these lines soon.
- Plenty of plans for creative campaigns, 2017 is set to be another big year for email branding…
Make 2017 your ‘email signature & branding’ year with Rocketseed. Let’s get Started.